Saturday, January 17, 2009

Moment of Inspiration for a Frozen Day

"At that point, I knew what had happened. I knew my leg was broken pretty badly. And I knew I couldn't get up again. So I started crawling."


Courtesy of Jessie: the story of a high school runner who broke her leg in multiple places 45 feet from the finish line of the Ohio state cross country championship and still finished the race.

*I couldn't get the video to work, but I imagine it might be kind of brutal. Just a heads up.

...

What Markwardt saw in the video might not be visible to the rest of us. She saw a teenage girl who, a year earlier, watched the state meet from the stands and made a personal commitment to run in that race in her senior year. She saw a girl who fulfilled that commitment, and then, with a badly broken leg 45 feet from the finish line, had a choice: Finish, or don't finish.
To her, it was a no-brainer.

...

For the full story.

No comments: