Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A Brief Introduction - Chris

I was hoping to post a quick few things about each of us participating in this event, so I'll take the plunge first.



Five things about me:

- Like the rest of us, I obviously viewed running a marathon as a grueling physical and mental challenge. Basically, an experience that seemed so painful I never imagined I would want to put myself through it. However, my younger sister took up cross country a few years ago and her positive experiences, a little competitive nudge from friends and the draw of aiding a great cause was too much. So off I go.

- My past running experience was mostly forced to stay fit as a soccer player. Sure, I step out and run a couple miles every so often, but the goal was always to stay in shape for the beautiful game. Running for the sake of running - not at all my idea of a fun afternoon.

- I used to hate jogging with music because it would take over my stride. Each new song changed the beat of my footsteps. Now I don't leave without my iPod and playlist of Girl Talk, Alexisonfire, Darkest Hour, RJD2 and Minus the Bear. Weird collection, I know.

- I much prefer to run at night. I've tripped over the sidewalk and nearly been hit by many a vehicle but the morning just doesn't do it for me.

- I've worn the same pair of running shoes for about 4 years. They survived a triathlon this Fall but I think it may have been their swan song. Until it warms up again, you can find me in the dinosaur hat.



Any tips for surviving this aside from a pair of "Nip Guards?" Good running tunes? Leave a note.

No comments: