Friday, March 20, 2009

I'm a First-Timer and Can't Wait till this is Over.

Here's a 'real-person' perspective.  I am not a runner.  I actually kinda hate it (although have grown to appreciate it).  I've had multiple aches and pains - I'm 5ft4 with shorter legs and I'm Korean-American - not a long-legged, lean Eastern European or Kenyan.  I'm so nervous about tomorrow I haven't slept well the entire week and I am not only constantly queasy in the stomach, but I have given myself a full-blown tension headache.  Although I appreciate all the wonderful motivational emails, texts, messages...to be honest I haven't read a single damn one because it makes me even more nervous.  Those who know me, I rarely get nervous or embarrassed whether it is job interviews, falling on the street, exams (except for Prof. Dunn's ECON 11 test), talking to boys/men, doing the long runs during training - it's all carpe diem and having fun.  I'm not sure why I'm so nervous - I think it's because I know it's going to be utterly painful and long and I refuse to fail.  

BUT, here is why/how I am going to finish 26.2 miles, no matter what.

The Mission: I really believe in the cause (LLS) and no way is the pain I'm going to feel tomorrow is even minutely comparable to the pain and suffering that victims of Leukemia & Lymphoma have gone through.  This cause is worth every single mile and I truly believe that every mile I finish, is another mile supporting the cause.

Training: I never missed a long run (except one day when I had my qualifying race) and by text  book standards, I am physically ready.

The Team: TNT has been utterly amazing.  I've made so many wonderful friends and been so inspired by all of you.  Special thanks to Coach Charlie, Mickey, my injured Jess, and Caitlin Brown.  Special shout-outs to Capt. Scott, Sarah 'Sprinkles', Fun Sam, Laura who I convinced to switch to a full-marathon and is doing it SO WELL(!), Barry 'Big Bird' Miller, Joe/Capt.America/Jedi, Margo, all the water-stop volunteers, and the rest of the wonderful, WONDERFUL TNTers. Go Team!

Family: my parents, sister, grandparents, multiple aunts, uncles, & cousins  - they are just always so awesome and I am very blessed.

Friends: my friends are the sh*t.  They haven't tempted me too much to go out on Fridays and understand when I'm being lame.  They've donated, come to events, ran with me on some mornings, and give overall support.  Thank you all.  Special thanks to Joey, Francesca, Jackie, Erin & Dan Starck (who not only have ran with me in training but will run with me tomorrow), Diana, and all the rest of you. You know who you are.

SPHR: you make my work days more than bearable and can't express how much I appreciate all the support.  

The Group of 8 that's really 7: I was hesitant in joining way back in November/December when we were at that first info session at the Cleveland Park Library.  Brandon, Ashwin, Brian, Lena, Jessie, and Chris -  You are not only among my closest friends but without you guys, no way would I have ever signed up, been sober on Friday nights, complete the long runs, enjoy brunch at Fado's, finish my fundraising, dance on Saturday nights, and most of all, have FUN during this journey.  Jessie, you are going to absolutely KILL this tomorrow, and the rest of you - I am going to be your LOUDEST and MOST OBNOXIOUS cheerleader in Nashville.  Would it be corny to say that I love you?

Alright - peace and GOOD LUCK to all the National and Shamrock Runners!!

No comments: