Saturday, February 7, 2009

Saturday Inspiration for Running Solo



Steve Prefontaine is one of the few names in running I'll probably ever recognize, and today, our second journey into a double digit mile run, is one of the first times I've encountered the "guts" he's talking about above.

I missed the TNT group run this morning to coach my U9 boys (to victory!) in their indoor soccer game and ended up running our scheduled 12 miles alone. During the week we've all been putting in time on our own with distances between 4 and 6 miles. But facing twelve miles, which is absolutely the farthest I've ever gone in one span, had me struggling toward the end.

The run took me from Arlington down to the White House, up the Reflecting Pool facing the Lincoln Memorial and back across the Memorial Bridge into Virginia. The last couple miles were all uphill and probably somewhere around mile 10 I started thinking about "guts."

Both feet and my left knee were getting sore and the possibility of slowing down or walking for a bit seemed a pretty reasonable option. Who would know?

But with all my teammates already completed their training in the morning, the generosity of all those who have supported our efforts so far, and the cause we're running for, raising money to support those suffering from life taking blood cancers in my head, my legs kept moving.

Among his amazing achievements, Pre was famous for pushing himself and other runners past their imagined limits. I certainly owe him a little thanks for helping me through the end on this one and I imagine we'll all need some considerable "guts" to go more than twice as far on April 25 in Nashville.

Look for updates and probably some pictures from the rest of the group later this weekend. And as always, please considering donating to our support of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

No comments: