Thursday, July 23, 2009

Why is someone taking my picture at 7 am? (The Double Digits Edition)

A genuine thanks to Charles Outcult for putting together an awesome photo album of our TNT DC team! All of his other pictures were really great, both the candid ones and the ones we posed for. But let's be honest we could have done with out this one! Seriously, what was this guy thinking when he took this picture of me two weeks ago?? Let me guess....

"Yes. This is a great shot. I'll get her while she looks confused, mid-smile, swollen in the face, with her eyes half open. Genius."

Back to the blog.

Six weeks after embarking on this journey, I have gone from struggling-to-keep-my-balance-on-a-treadmill running (twice a year at best), to running a full 10 MILES this past weekend! It was a great shady trail starting at Fletcher's boat house, running towards Bethesda, MD, and then back. The weather was just right, even a bit chilly when we first started. The icing on the cake was the 9 am BBQ to celebrate our double-digit accomplishment, loading up on burgers and hot dogs for breakfast. Divine.

And that's not the only thing I've got to celebrate this week... I'm about 20% closer to reaching my fundraising goal of $1800 in donations to LLS, thanks to all the great support from my friends and family!! I've got to admit, fundraising has been the toughest part for me so far. While I've got a lot of good ideas for events, it's been really hard finding the time to organize and host them. I'm hoping to make some serious moves in August!

Thoughts On My Training: I used to absolutely hate running with other people. Or at least, I hated the idea of running with other people. I was always nervous that I wouldn't be able to keep up with the other person, or feared being put under pressure to keep up a conversation while simultaneously running out of breath. Well, after a few weeks of morning group runs with TNT, I've basically learned that there's nothing better than the company of others while trying to get through multiple miles! Whether I'm talking with someone the whole time, or just quietly running side by side with someone at the same pace.

In fact, I've been lucky enough to have my ol' ball and chain, Joey, join me a couple of times for my midweek runs. The nice thing about Joey is that he doesn't mind doing all the talking the whole time, haha. Quite a ball of energy, that kid is. Our first run together was when I had to make up the 5 mile run I missed while in Guatemala. He did great! Below is our post-run pic. We look like we mean business (especially Joey!).


**************************************************
94 days until MCM!! Time is flying by, Donate today!!

No comments: